Home Text


James Hoyt, a son of Jedediah Hoyt and Hannah Elliott, was born November 25, 1785, at Concord, New Hampshire. He married Beulah Sabin, who was a daughter of Israel Sabin and Beulah Albee. The Hoyt family have been officers of the law, soldiers, pioneers, builders in every way. There are many doctors, professors, jurors, and minister among them.

James Hoyt and wife came to Utah in the company led by his son-in-law, Redick N. Allred, consisting of 73 wagons. They arrived in Salt Lake City, December 12, 1857, at Levan, Utah.


Israel Hoyt was born in Booneville, Oneida County, New York, April 26, 1827. His father, James Hoyt and Beulah Sabin, and family joined the Church in the early days of the Church and then came West to be with the Saints. AS a young man, he worked on the Nauvoo temple. He was present at the meeting where the Mantel of the Prophet Joseph fell on Brigham Young. When the move west began he drove team for Bp. Hunter, in Jedediah M. Grant’s company, arriving with the last company in 1847. He performed the labors common to pioneers. AT the age of 21 he married Clarissa A. Miller. They lived in Salt Lake City for a while then they were called to settle Juab County and moved to Nephi. In January 1854 he was elected a Capt of Company A Battalion of Infantry in Juab District in the Nauvoo Legion established headquarters in Echo Canyon to prevent Johnston’s Army from entering the Salt Lake Valley. Captain Hoyt with part of his company were there. About 1853 while living in Nephi, a young lady by the name of Hannah Cook came there to teach school. She was a small dainty English woman with auburn hair and freckles on her nose. She had a quiet, pleasant voice, blue eyes and a pleasing smile. She went to board with Israel Hoyt and wife, Clarissa. Before the year was over, Clarissa had asked Hannah to be her husband’s plural wife. Hannah accepted and Israel Hoyt and Hannah Cook were married November 23, 1855. Hannah’s parents and elder brothers and sisters had been baptized in Canada about 1842. They had left almost immediately for Nauvoo. But they did not arrived in Utah until 1850. While crossing the plains Hannah had been run over by a wagon and had her hip crushed. She was healed by the power of God. Most of the company were walking, but because of her accident, she was allowed to ride a white mule that was hitched to one of the wagons. After she arrived in Utah, she was baptized. Her parents were among those of whom the poet says, “The healing of the world is in its nameless saints.” They were quiet, unassuming , industrious people. Service to others in a quiet way being their aim.

In 1869, Israel Hoyt with his two wives and children went to Nevada to help settle that section, but due to the high rate of taxes and the drought, they did not stay. It is a section of country where the sand it deep and hot. I heave heard my mother tell of how they would run a little way in the sand there, then throw down their bonnets to stand on while they feet cooled a little. Squaws always carried a bundle of straw or dry grass to stand on while they relieved their feet. Times were hard. They lived on roots and berries. Flour was very scarce, but they always shared with the less fortunate.

The Hoyt family with many others came to Long Valley in Kane County, where they established Mt. Carmel, a place well known in this day because of the highway by that name. It connects Zion Park and the Grand Canyon.

Brigham Young went down about 1871 and organized the United Order at Orderville, and made Howard Spencer as presiding elder and Israel Hoyt his first counselor. Israel Hoyt held many positions during the days of the Order. Foremost amount them he was the head dairyman. making the cheese and butter for the members of the order, and taking charge of the dairy cattle.

Amother romance transpires at this time. There was in the town a young woman who was blind. Her blindness was caused through an accident when she was ten years old. her name was Bertha Fackrell. She was a very industrious, humble person. Israel Hoyt’s wives knowing that her chances for marriage were few and feeling that she was a very deserving young woman asked Israel Hoyt to marry her. They were willing to take the responsibility and care of her. They asked her, and at first she refused because of the burden she felt she would be. But they insisted and because she admired the Hoyt’s so very much, she consented. After a year, she gave birth to a baby girl. They were a congenial happy family. The first two wives being eyes for the blind one, and she in turn knitting for the family, and doing anything she could to help make it a contented family indeed.

As Hannah had been a school teacher, she acted as a teacher there and did a lot of reading for the family. Bertha’s memory was strengthened, and she could remember what was read, then by talking things over they were all being educated.

In March, 1883, Israel was at the dairy when Bertha’s baby took sick. He was sent for and harrying home horseback riding fast down hill, he was thrown over the horse’s head and injured. Bertha’s baby died before he got there and a week after on the 3rd of April, Israel Hoyt passed away. His last words were, “I have layed the foundation.” Israel Hoyt is my mother’s father. Hannah is my grandmother. We called Clarissa, Grandma Clarissa, but Bertha, being so much younger than the others asked us to call her Aunt Bertha.

The three wives lived together a while after grandfather’s death, then because the other wives had to work to give their children the advantages of school or mission, Bertha decided to go home to her father as he was blessed with an abundance of this world’s goods. She felt that she didn’t want to hinder those good woman who had give her a husband. So she returned to her father’s house. The first wife, Clarissa was a postmistress for years at this place and my grandmother was still teaching school when I started school. She was my second grade teacher.

Grandmother took her two youngest children to Provo. They are both graduates of the old B.Y.A.

Grandmother always said she wanted to live as long as she could be of service. In the autumn of 1910, she was not feeling well and she wanted to go back to where her husband was buried. When she got there, she said that her years of usefulness were over and she had come home to die. She told her children her position and asked they they wouldn’t pray for her. She was frail and could not eat. She passed peacefully away in February 1911, and she is buried beside my grandfather and Clarissa. Aunt Bertha is still living.

My grandfather spoke words of wisdom, and grandmother wrote words of wisdom.