Home Text


Llandilorfan Breckonshire South Wales was the birth place of Daniel Williams son of Elizabeth Evans and Rodrick Williams. Born 23 of August 1783 at the farm called Blackfork. Daniel was of medium build, dark hair and brown eyes, very kind and considerate. One who loved his fellow men. He was a weaver by trade and made some of the hats and baskets that were sold in some of the fine shops in London. He owned a small farm and raised a garden. He married Ruth Jones daughter of Margaret David and William Jones. She was born in the month of March 1780 at Tri Abbot Breconshire Wales. They were married at Llandilorfan Brecon Wales[16 Apr] 1805. Ruth was a large woman, dark brown hair and blue eyes. She wore her hair parted in the middle combed straight down on both sides, pinned in a bob at the nap of her neck. She had a very patient and kind disposition, She was very prayerful. At one time receiving the gift of tongues in song. She did not believe in taking pictures. She felt they were a form of idle worship.

To this union were born eight children: Rodrick Jones Williams who married Ann Price, William who married Ann Williams, Ruth Williams who married John E. Price, Mary Williams who married David P. Davis (He came to America and left her in Wales), John Jones Williams who married Emma Merrifield and later Mary Jones in polygamy, and Samuel Jones Williams who married Ann Price. She died leaving him with four small children. One son Daniel he left in Wales with his grandfather Price, who begged to keep the boy saying it would break his heart if he took him, so the broken hearted father left his son in Wales never to see him again. After his wife died he married Elizabeth Perry [Bodell’s PAF says Powell].

They came to America for the sake of the gospel. They were taught the gospel by their son in law, John E. Price, who states in his journal he walked thirty five miles to baptize his mother in law and her son Daniel Jr. Daniel Sr. was not baptized at this time. He was afraid if he became known as a Mormon no one would buy his wares or give him employment. He was baptized soon after he came to America.

They sold their belongings and had means to come to America. They were listed in the shipping records as being independent and not requiring church assistance. They sailed for America 5 of February 1853, leaving Liverpool on the ship Jersy under the direction of Captain George Holliday with 314 saints aboard. Half were English and half were Welch, causing a confusion of tongues which was quite amusing. The sails were unfurled as the land became more distant, someone started to sing “My Native Land I Love Thee,” Soon all joined sing until the motion of the ship began to affect them and the deck became deserted. The next morning instructions were given. Married men and women were to be stationed in the middle of the ship. The single men at the bow end and the single women at the stern. The company was divided in two districts with a president and two counselors for each group. Each met with their own group at eight pm to make sure no principal of morality was violated and to see that the most scrupulous cleanliness was maintained, for general health sake fumigation was done and the sprinkling of lime on the deck. Any sick were brought on deck in the sunshine, willing or not, only one death occurred during the trip, an elderly lady who was ill when she started. After a few days the passengers became used to the ship’s motion. People sat on deck and enjoyed the sunshine, friendliness and sociability. They were a friendly group singing songs, telling stories and cracking jokes, making the voyage very enjoyable. Six marriages were performed on the voyage.

The direct mileage from Liverpool to New Orleans was 4400 miles. The Jersy traveled 5000 miles. Finally they came to the mouth of the Mississippi where the water was shallow. There sat a larger vessel that left Liverpool two weeks earlier. Thanks to their crafty old captain they did not have to wait. He was able to obtain two boats to tow the Jersy to higher water. It took four days to travel one hundred miles. They arrived at New Orleans 21 Mar 1853. They were six weeks on their journey.

Here they were met by John Brown, an agent appointed by the church to receive them and arrange for passage to St. Louis. At St. Louis they were met by Isaac Haight, who arranged passage to Keokuk, Iowa. The fair was $2.25 for adults, half fair for children 3-14, babies went free. Here they were able to purchase essentials necessary to complete their journey across the plains. Daniel was able to obtain a wagon, but only one horse. He loaned his wagon to Brother Young for a supply wagon to carry his supplies. Ruth road the horse.

This was a hard trip for people their age. Daniel was 69 and walked with a staff. Ruth was 72 and walked with a crutch. She had fallen from a stool she was standing on to wind a clock and broke several bones in her foot, leaving her crippled. She was also heavy on her feet. The saddle consisted of a blanket tied on the horse with a rope. Daniel walked by her side.

The wagon train consisted of 42 wagons drawn by oxen. Their captain was Joseph W. Young, a nephew of Brigham Young. Before they left he gave them this advice. Contend with no one, pray for those who are over you and they will prove a blessing to you. He said a man who complains about doing his share should be fed with a spoon and have to sleep with his mother. They had one wagon and one tent for each ten people, four oxen for each wagon, two milk cows for each ten people. They looked very funny and small hooked between the oxen. Sometimes they were without wood or water and had to gather buffalo chip for the fire. Sometimes the bread would rise too much and be sour other times it wouldn’t rise and we had sorry bread. Sometimes they had good bread.

Passing through Indian territory was very frightening as the different tribe were at war. Near the Platt River they saw two Indians coming. They stopped the wagons. The men picked up their guns and women hurried to the wagons for protection. Soon many Indians arrived. The Pawnee chief said, “Pawnee shoot.” The men laid down their guns. He wanted a red jacket Mrs. Morris was wearing. There was no more traveling that night. The Pawnee chief patrolled the camp all night to protect them from his own people and the Sioux tribe they were at war with. When morning came they were permitted to continue on their journey. Truly the hand of the Lord had been with them. They traveled on unmolested and unharmed. Their hearts were filled with gratitude to their Heavenly Father for his merciful protection.

They arrived in Salt Lake City 10, October 1853, where they received a warm welcome and were provided with food and some clothing. After resting a few days they were advised to go to Brigham City where other Welsh saints had settled. They made their home in a dugout. Their hardships were many, but their faith never faltered. They worked diligently in the church. Daniel was advanced to a high priest. The dugout was replaced with and adobe house with wood roof, covered with dirt and a wood floor. They had some land, did a little farming, raised a garden and some chickens. Daniel continued his trade as a weaver. He was unable to obtain straw so se gathered small willows from the bank of the Bear River and wove them into baskets of various sizes. Some he traded for flour, meat, etc. He sold baskets in nearly all the homes in Brigham City. He was credited with making the first fruit baskets used there,

Ruth worked like other pioneer women, making her own butter, cheese, candles, and soap. She owned a spinning wheel, was very efficient, s[inning as much as two pounds in a day, which was considered a very good record. She sold some pounds of yarn, traded it for supplies, and wove some into cloth. Ruth’s health became poor. She developed dropsy[Edema, an abnormal accumulation of serous fluid in connective tissue or in a serous cavity], which caused her so much pain she sometimes took a sharp knife and tapped her arms to relieve the pressure.

Their son, John J. Williams, and his wife, Emma Jans, arrived in Brigham City two weeks after the parents. They stayed a short time, then went on to Malad, where they made their home. He became known as John Williams the blacksmith.

Daniel and Ruth traveled to the Salt Lake Endowment House where they received their endowments and were sealed for time and eternity 14 September 1861. Ruth was stricken with mountain fever and passed away October 1868 and was buried in Brigham City.

Daniel left Brigham City after Ruth’s death going to Samaria Idaho to make his home near his family. John J. Williams was living at Malad and Ruth Williams Price and Samuel J. Williams were living at Samaria. Due to his independent disposition he lived by himself in a dugout on what they called the knoll, until he became ill. Then he was taken to the home of his son Samuel. After living with samuel only three weeks he passed away 18 December 1870, at the age of 87. He was taken to Brigham City by ox team and buried by his beloved wife, Ruth.


From an old newspaper clipping:

It is with regret we record the death of one of our most prominent citizens. On Friday, last, John E. Price was called home. For some time he had been suffering from a severe attack of pneumonia, but for some time he appeared to have the better of the situation. But without any known cause he suffered a relapse, and from that time on he grew weaker and weaker until the end.

John E. Price was born in Llandilorfan Brecon Shire South Wales 18 of January 1855. He along with the rest of the family moved to the gathering place of the saints at an early date. The Price family were the first settlers of Samaria. At the time of his death he was 55 years of age and leaves a wife and ten children to mourn his departure.

It is needless to tell of his virtues, as he was acquainted with nearly all of the residents of the valley and only to know him was and index to his character. He was a man with an upright character and a spotless reputation. In all of his offices of trust he filled them with honesty and credit, to whom he served. In the death of Mister Price we have lost one whom we can not easily replace, and the entire community mourns with the family over the loss of one we all appreciated.

The funeral was held in the Samaria assembly hall and was attended by a large concourse of appreciative friends. The choir sang “Rest for the Weary Soul” in an appropriate manner. Prayer by Joseph Dudley, Bishop L. E. Jones, the first speaker, spoke of the sterling qualities of Mr. Price and of the impressions his long acquaintance as to the worth of the character of the departed. Professor A. R. Caselton sang in his usual manner “There is Hope Beyond the Grave.” Elder David Jenkins then delivered a short discourse on “Life is Life.” C. R. Thomas was then called and said he had known the deceased for a number of years and spoke words of comfort and cheer to the sorrowing family. Evan Jenkins Senior then followed with the principal speech on the resurrection. He handled his subject in an appropriate manner. His instructions were timely and should appeal to every thoughtful soul.

Second paper clipping:

John E. Price, pioneer of this place died here Friday March 13. Funeral services were held in the Samaria assembly hall Monday 16 of March at one o’clock. Counselor

Evan Jenkins presiding. The speakers were Bishop Lewis Dan Jones of Pleasantview, Elder John Jones of Arbon, David Jenkins of this place, C. R. Thomas of Pleasantview, and counselor Evan Jenkins. All the speakers spoke in the highest terms of the deceased.

John E. Price was the son of John Evan Price and Ruth Williams Price. He was born in Llandelorfan Brecon Shire South Wales January 18, 1855. When eight years of age he was baptised in to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He with his father’s family settled in Brigham City. Mr. Price’s father and his brother Daniel E. Price settled in Samaria in February 1868. The rest of the family followed in March the same year. There were no white settlers here when John E. Price came to make his home. He was married in the Salt Lake Endowment house March 15 1833 to Emma Morse. He leaves a wife and five sons and five daughters, one brother and four sisters and a great number of relatives and friends. The deceased was a pioneer in every way, a loving husband, a devoted father, a loyal citizen and a good neighbor.