Home Text PDF


(1886 - 1964)


I was born November 1, 1886 at Samaria, Oneida, Idaho. I was the second child. My parents were Emma Morse and John Evan Price, Jr. My brother, Will, was older and the others were: Evan, Ruth, Margaret, Esther, Edith, Emma, Elmer and Dan.

[Family Photo]

Back Row: Daniel Morse, Elmer Vere, Evan Morse, John Morse, William Morse Front Row: Emma, Edith, Esther May, Margaret, Ruth

Will married Annie Hamblin and raised their family in Pleasantview and Samaria. At one time they lived just across the lot from us. We enjoyed many occasions together. The children enjoyed each day’s play, with the playing of house, swimming, ball or most anything. Our families were close and have never lost interest in one another. Will and I farmed together, logged in the mountains and at one time, had a sawmill on my place above the ditch.

Evan married Deloria (Doll) Peterson. They lived Samaria, and also raised their family there. Evan drove a milk truck for years and took it to the Malad Creamer. In later years, when his health would not permit the heavy lifting, he worked for the Liquor Commission and also farmed. They have a lovely family that we always enjoyed. Doll had a nice voice and often sang in public. She and Leah Waldron sang many songs together.

Ruth married Royal Sorenson and had 3 boys. She raised her family in Rexburg, Idaho. They farmed and were in the cattle business. Since Royal’s death Ruth has lived most of the time in Salt Lake City. She spends sometimes with her boys, but aside from that, she has a library of genealogy work done. She has traveled abroad for this purpose and given many tiring hours for the worthwhile cause for which the family is forever grateful. Being of the sweet nature she is, we all love her and enjoy our visits with her. Because of her cultured manner, she is an inspiration to anyone.

Elmer married Zola Keene. He served in World War I. For many years he worked on the railroad, then came home to help on our widowed mother’s farm. Here he lived until he married in 1940. Mother and Elmer enjoyed many temple excursion days as well as seeing that most of the grandchildren were available for temple baptisms. He was a devoted man to his religion and lived as an example. In alter years Zola contacted cancer and suffered many months before her death. Elmer, dedicated to his calling, saw that she never needed for care and the necessities of life. After her passing, he was very lonely and his health started to fail him. He was operated on in Salt Lake City at the Veterans Hospital for a gland infection and never fully recovered. Sometime later he got a blood clot and died of a heart failure. He was missed by everyone. He was a good leader and truly a missionary for his church.

Emma married Lew Waldron, she also raised her family in Gwenford, but the children attended church and school at Samaria. They did a lot of farming and raising of cattle. Emma loved children and the children loved her. They loved to go play or stay over night because they always had so much to do and Emma’s love showed more than she knew. Her big two-story house and their happiness was somewhat a child’s dream. The children loved exploring around the old mills, riding horses, playing house with all the dress up garbs of a child’s world, swimming in the creek, making candy or just looking for frogs or pollywogs. Grandma Waldron, Uncle Lew Waldron’s Mother, who shared the home with them, always had a humorous story to tell or an experience of her early pioneer childhood days.

Edith married Ted Lindsay and lived in Salt Lake City for many years. There she raised her two boys, Ted and Joe, until they were pretty good size. After her divorce, she came and stayed with Mother until some years later she married Carl Evans. She had one boy, Johnny. Carl was called to be a bishop and Edith accepted her calling to the fullest degree. Everyone knows Edith for her generosity and her concern for everyone. She is a willing worker and seems to know when anyone is in need. Her home is open to anyone and with her gracious hospitality she made them welcome.

Margaret married Sam Hatch. They lived in Midvale and Salt Lake City, Utah. Here they raised their family. Sam was a railroad worker and Margaret has enjoyed their auxiliaries. She is a diligent worker in civic organizations and has been an active church worker, holding office in nearly all of the organizations.

Esther married Harris Shumway. They raised their family in Blanding, Utah. Harris was a government trapper, as well as a miner or prospector. They dedicated many years of their life to missionary work with the Indians. If they were to write their experiences, I’m sure they could write volumes. Many times it was not easy. Esther had a cute sense of humor and there never was a dull moment. Although they have had many tragedies in their lives involving the family, she never lost her testimony nor her will to do the Lord’s work. They enjoyed their temple work and are a welcome couple in any group. You can always be sure of some interesting experiences and Esther brings on a good laugh.

Dan married Viola Anderson. They raised their family in Samaria. As a young man, Dan joined the service and also served a mission. Viola lost her eyesight after an operation and because of poor health she suffered for months before her death. He was a bishop in Samaria Ward. He later married Nevada Riddle. They moved to Provo where Dan rented apartments and worked in the State Mental Hospital. He has been an active worker in the church and community.

I attended school in Samaria. I went to school in the top of the Samaria Store where only a curtain separated the two rooms. The teachers were Sam Davis and Johnny Davis. One day I got expelled from school for feeding the girls Ex-lax (a laxative) that looked like chocolate candy. I also went to school in an old log schoolhouse east of where the church is now.

My other teachers were Johnny Bowen, Ike Evans, Mary Peterson, Tom Waldron, Joe Morgan and Miss Campbell. At one time we had three schools in Samaria. One was a Presbyterian school. It was across the street and down from our old home.

When I was to graduate from the 8th grade, some of the boys came back to further their education. They had to furnish their own stool and material to work with. They were Albert E. Bowen and Edwin Davis. Albert E. Bowen later because an apostle in the Latter- day Saint Church and Edwin Davis became a colonel in the Army after graduation from West Point.

I came from a very religious family. We always had family prayer. The Sunday meal was always prepared on Saturday for the Sabbath. Many times when one of the children would get sick, Mother administered to them herself. She believed in the power of prayer and lived by example. She was a consolation to many during sickness or through troubled times. She acted as a midwife on many occasions and traveled night and day to help anyone in need.

We had a little house up on the farm in Pleasantview. We moved it there from down by the lake. There we batched it while we put up hay. The hay sold for $2.25 a ton.

The family home that dad built before they were married still stands and had remained in the family until 1963. It was sold to Verda Varga (granddaughter) after Mother’s passing. They she sold it to Robert Waldron.

When we were kids we gathered wool from the fences after the herds had moved on. They way we made a little money. We got paid by the pound so sometimes we would put a few rocks in the bottom of the sack.

I went to Primary long after the others quit. I liked to go. Aunt Sophia and her friends used to always have me go on a picnic with them so I could carry the lunches and water.

We used to dance above the store until daylight. The first girl I ever danced with was Ruth Dalton. My close friends were Edgar Davis, Woodrow Davis, Hen Richards, Max and Oliver Williams. We had some great marble games.

I run around a lot with Albert E. and Lew Bowen, who lived across the street from us. We rode horses a lot and went swimming at the lake. In the winter we would ice skate and play pomp on the ice. Many times Mother would get worried about us and have to stop her work and walk to the lake after us.

Each fall during the house cleaning we would replenish the straw ticks and under the carpet with new yellow straw.

A variety of food was very scarce. We thought we really had something if we had bread, butter and gooseberries. Mother stood the milk in pans and skimmed the cream off to churn or sell.

Dad was sick a lot so Will and I carried the extra load. At night we had cows to milk and wood to chop, to fill the old black stove so we could keep warm during the night. We carried water from the spring in a large barrel on a frame called a slip.

We always had very fond memories of Christmas. Not that there was so much to be had, but the fun of preparing. Will and I often replaced the goodies in the girls’ stockings for coal, rocks, or something worse.

When I was 16 years old, I went with the sheep to help Mother. I stayed for 11 months. I was working for Bowen’s and I left in February and came back in January the next year to Pocatello Valley to feed them there.

When I was 20 years old I started to go with Ruth Williams. She was very attractive and had dark hair and blue eyes. On February 9, 1907 we were married in Malad. I was working for Lewis Hughes. The first seven years of our marriage I was away with the sheep many months at a time. I covered a large part of the Nevada desert from Elko to Ely, Wendover and all west of the Great Salt Lake, then north to Soda Springs and Gray’s Lake.

I was one of the men who found the fresh water in the top of the mountains north and west of Pilot Peak on the Nevada desert.

Our first home was a one-room log house on a lot in Samaria. One year after our marriage we added another room. The family home was left to Ruth after her father’s death. This home truly bears the feeling of atmosphere and inspiration of the song written, “The House at the End of the Lane.”

[Photo of Ruth Williams]

I owned property in Pocatello Valley. While farming this ground, I also worked the Royal Sorenson farm. John and his brother, Will, owned and operated a sawmill. The logs for the mill were brought from Big Canyon and Dry Pine. I also cut and sold Christmas trees for $2.54 a piece and derrick poles for $5.00. I always had a good team and riding horses.

Our father was a great person. During the Depression in 1932 until 1936, times were very hard, but our father was never idle. He always found something to do to provide for his large family. His children learned a good lesson from this. Dad was an employee of the Oneida County Roads Department for 19 years. He was also the road supervisor in the Samaria District and water master for the Samaria Irrigation Company for a number of years.


In his later years Dad had very poor health. Because of this, he suffered a great deal, but he never complained. His many friends will remember him for his honesty and fair dealings with friends and business associates. His eager willingness to be of service to others, while providing for a family of thirteen children, will long be remembered by all who knew him. Although his education was limited, he always kept abreast of the world affairs and could converse to great extent on any topic. His grandchildren have many happy memories of visiting Grandma and Grandpa’s house at the end of the lane. It was a haven for them all both at times of joy and sorrow. Their home was always full of wholesome spirit of real family love, which they made so much a part of their home.

[Photo of Ruth and John Price (with cake!)]

Dad’s life was full of hardship and pain. He literally toiled his life away in behalf of his family. He stands as an example to all his children through his devotion to his chosen task of filling his children’s hearts as he filled their stomachs. He left a bounteous legacy of love and fond memories for his children and grandchildren. It was said of him that he left his footprints in the sands of time by wearing workmen’s shoes.

John and Ruth’s family of 13, now grown and married, truly have a feeling of compassion, unity, and love among them. This is a sincere religion of its own and taught by example from their parents.

–Ruth Price Powell (daughter)


Family of John and Ruth Price (50th Anniversary)
Back Row: John, Ruth, Cleo
Center Row: Mary, Verda, Emma Pearl, Lucille, Faye.
Front Row: Alta, William, Edith (Patsy) John, Ruth, Ann, Jerry Doyle


John Morse Price and sons
Jerry Doyle, William Williams, John Morse Price, John Williams, Cleo Williams


John and Ruth Price

John Morse Price was born 1 Nov 1886
      Married: Ruth Williams, 9 Feb 1907
               She was born 27 Mar 1889

[Newspaper clipping]

50th Wedding Anniversary To Be Observed June 13th

[Program for Funeral Services]

[Newspaper clippings for two obituaries]